I love musicals. I have seen many live stage versions, recorded stage versions, and movie versions throughout my life so far and plan to see many more.
As of today, I still have not seen The Phantom of the Opera live, but I will!! It is hands down my favourite. The last time I watched the recording of the 25th anniversary stage production I cried. After watching muscials I get into a funk, where I am really emotional, happy and frankly a little out of it. My head is somewhere else.
I was introduced to muscials at a very young age, but did not really get obsessed until my second year of high school, when my little sister introduced me to The Phantom of the Opera movie from 2004. I fell in love with the music and the story. Sophie then kept on showing up with different musicals, and I grew to love having my stories told to me through song and dance. Phantom, we got out again and again. It was definitely our favourite.
Before my passion fully formed I had my fair share of musicals. I saw a production of Cats in Toronto when I was really young. Wicked for my twelfth birthday in London!! Grew up with The Wizard of Oz, Julie Andrews (I will devote many a post to this woman), Disney etc. My middle school always did a production every year. I was even in my Grade 8 production of Beauty and the Beast (the egg seller and a statue). Also, my high school had a course devoted to it. I saw all the porductions they have put on throughout my four years. So yeah, the musical spark was always there, but Phantom made it the roaring bonfire it is to this day.
My favourite productions that I have seen live: Wicked (twice, London 2008 and Toronto 2014), Cats (Toronto?) South Pacific (Toronto 2010/11?), Les Miserables (Toronto 2013). There are probably more, but I can't recall them right now.
Plus numerous high school and middle school productions. Favs: Little Women, Footloose, Little Shop of Horrors, Aladdin.
Favourite moive versions: The Sound of Music, Victor/Victoria, West Side Story, Into the Woods, My Fair Lady (oh how I widh Julie had been Eliza), Chicago, Moulin Rouge and probably more.
My musical idols: Julie Andrews, Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess. These people are perfect in every way. Best voices I have ever heard and, of course, great actors. They have made me cry and laugh more than any other entertainer. I have only seen one live. Ramin Karimloo was Jean Valjean in Toronto's Les Mis.
I saw my first university production just this past Feburary. It was Sweeny Todd. I loved it!! Definitely going to next year's one.
No comments:
Post a Comment