Web series. Web series are like TV just lying there on the Internet, waiting for some unsuspecting girl with no life to come waltzing by. That's not all though, there are web series based on classic literature. I was doomed before I even started.
It is Jane Austen's fault. I have never heard of web series before this year. I was reading Pride and Prejudice and, well, doing a poor job of it. To help I turned to Wikpedia and looked up different adaptations of the book that were not the movie with Keira Knightly nor the TV miniseries with Colin Firth. And found, well, you know: The Lizzie Bennt Diaries (LBD).
LBD is still probably the most popular web series out there and one of the first of the literary web series. I mean, even though I had technically just found the LBD, I had heard of it before finding it again on Wikipedia (though I did not know it was a web series). So I check it out and watched all 100 episodes over the next two days. It was fantastic: well written, smartly updated, charming cast, the works. I also finally had enough understanding of the plot to finish Pride and Prejudice, and I had found this new form of easy entertainment. Needless to say I had to find more literary web series. This led to checking the first few episodes of other literary web series such as Emma Approved (based off of Jane Austen's Emma), The Autobiography of Jane Eyre, Green Gables Fables and Carmilla. However, I guess I was still recovering from the awesomeness that was LBD, for I didn't get beyond the first few episodes for any of them. This slump did not stay for long because of Carmilla, but that is anotherstory post. Currently, I watching many of the aforementioned along with a couple of others.
Now why make a post about literary web series. Not only they are addicting, but they are also incredible entertainment. Also, very helpful in completing that book that you have to read for class or to impress a friend. I would not have been able to read Pride and Prejudice without LBD. I have tried many times before but have always given up. The web series format makes it necessary for all these classics story are given a modern day setting. All plot events still happen, though some have changed to their modern equivalent, for example, LBD's Charlotte and Collins's business partnership. This allows for the modern audience to understand a character's actions that before seem to have no real substance. They are also a good wading to help test out whether you actually want to go swimming in deep literature or not. I wish I could explain this better but if you want to find out more here are some links: this woman explains the previous paragraph way better than I do, this is a literary web series master list that I have found that contains all of previously mentioned as well as many more. Enjoy!
It is Jane Austen's fault. I have never heard of web series before this year. I was reading Pride and Prejudice and, well, doing a poor job of it. To help I turned to Wikpedia and looked up different adaptations of the book that were not the movie with Keira Knightly nor the TV miniseries with Colin Firth. And found, well, you know: The Lizzie Bennt Diaries (LBD).
LBD is still probably the most popular web series out there and one of the first of the literary web series. I mean, even though I had technically just found the LBD, I had heard of it before finding it again on Wikipedia (though I did not know it was a web series). So I check it out and watched all 100 episodes over the next two days. It was fantastic: well written, smartly updated, charming cast, the works. I also finally had enough understanding of the plot to finish Pride and Prejudice, and I had found this new form of easy entertainment. Needless to say I had to find more literary web series. This led to checking the first few episodes of other literary web series such as Emma Approved (based off of Jane Austen's Emma), The Autobiography of Jane Eyre, Green Gables Fables and Carmilla. However, I guess I was still recovering from the awesomeness that was LBD, for I didn't get beyond the first few episodes for any of them. This slump did not stay for long because of Carmilla, but that is another
Now why make a post about literary web series. Not only they are addicting, but they are also incredible entertainment. Also, very helpful in completing that book that you have to read for class or to impress a friend. I would not have been able to read Pride and Prejudice without LBD. I have tried many times before but have always given up. The web series format makes it necessary for all these classics story are given a modern day setting. All plot events still happen, though some have changed to their modern equivalent, for example, LBD's Charlotte and Collins's business partnership. This allows for the modern audience to understand a character's actions that before seem to have no real substance. They are also a good wading to help test out whether you actually want to go swimming in deep literature or not. I wish I could explain this better but if you want to find out more here are some links: this woman explains the previous paragraph way better than I do, this is a literary web series master list that I have found that contains all of previously mentioned as well as many more. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment