Tuesday, 31 March 2015
Can be enjoyed seperately
I am reading Virginia Woolf right now. A collection of essays she wrote on fiction. Today, I made the startling discovery that I have no idea what I am reading. Not a clue what Woolf is talking about, yet I am really enjoying her essays. Why? It is because Virginia Woolf is good. Really good. Her words! Her sentences! They are works of art! Many sentences I say aloud to feel the rhythm or just hear the wonderful words she has strung to together. I find that I don't care that I don't understand what she is saying, enjoying her words is enough. And I realized that this has happened before. Some writers I love because of their writing, while others I love for their stories. By stories I mean what they are communicating within the written piece. There are some writers that just tell thrilling tales. Yes, they can also write well, but I do not read them for their writing. My breath doesn't catch in my throat over a phrasing or word choice. I just want to get lost in the story. Most of the YA novels that I have read are this, There are, of course, authors that stand out that have gorgeous writing as well as up all night stories. Laini Taylor, Catherynne M. Valente, Kate DiCamillo and Juliet Marillier are my go to authors that write beautifully and tell good stories. This does not necessarily mean they are the best. They just happen to blend the two elements of reading that I have brought up. here are times for each type of writing. You may think that a blend of both the well written and good story is the best option, but sometimes one just wants to read something beautiful, or one just wants the adventure. There are times where I just want to read great sentences, and so I go and pick up Virginia Woolf or Ernest Hemingway. Then there are other times when I just want to forget about school, so I pick up a Nicholas Sparks novel. Both are wonderful in their own way and probably the most enjoyable separately. This is really hard to explain. I don't know if this makes any sense, but there you have it. Writers can be good at words and stories separately, and this does not take away my enjoyment of the reading their work if they have one and not the other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment