Pages

Sunday, 22 February 2015

Finding Irene Dunne

You know that moment when you find something you didn't even know you were searching for? Just had one of those with surfing Youtube and finding a new Irene Dunne movie, Back Street from 1932  (so before the Hays Code!!). I have been warned that it is a weepy, but I am excited anyway. Dunne is always awesome.

Irene Dunne herself was a happy accident. My first movie of hers that I watched was Love Affair (1939). It caught my eye because it starred Charles Boyer, who I knew from Gaslight (with my favourite Ingrid Bergman). I found myself falling for Dunne right alongside him (along with pink champagne). She is just so charming and funny.  I loved her laugh and her grace in moving between the comedic first half to the melodramatic second.  I know that the remake of this movie An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr is a lot more popular with today's audiences, but to me Love Affair is the best.




No comments:

Post a Comment