Pages

Saturday, 29 August 2015

Ingrid Bergman Centennial 1915-2015

Ingrid Bergman:

A Centennial Celebration 1915-2015


Ingrid Bergman (29.08.15-29.08.82)
Happy 100th Birthday Ingrid Bergman! I can't express how much I adore Ingrid, an actress who stayed true to herself.  Her down to earth outlook and her courage got her through many obstacles, and that alone makes me love her.  She is also my favourite actress of Hollywood's so called "Golden Era,"but Ingrid is not really a Hollywood actress. She was from Sweden and had acted there long before Hollywood. A truly global actress, Ingrid spoke five languages and acted all over the world, so I can say with confidence that the whole world is celebrating her centennial with me.

Her beautiful smile                                    
How did I fall for Ingrid Bergman? I don't really know. I remember being incredibly pleased at her height. Most actresses seemed to be very petite, especially in old Hollywood, but Ingrid was the exception at 5'10''. Her accent? I remember I loved hearing her speak. I found out that she was born in Sweden and had not come to America until her twenties. Maybe it was her eyes. I was impressed at the range of emotion her could convey with just her eyes. They sparkled with tears, clouded with worry, sparked with anger. They made her acting just that more convincing. Her beauty? She had a natural beauty that never needed to be covered over with make up and that lit up the screen. It was all these things or maybe it was none of them. All I know is that Ingrid Bergman, who would have turned 100 today, steals my breath and stops my heart. 

With Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, 1942

I have seen 18 of her films: Gaslight, Spellbound, Notorious, Cactus Flower, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Bell's of Saint Mary's, Elena et les hommes, Interrmezzo, Interrmezzo: A Love Story, En kvinnas ansikte, Juninatten, Stromboli, Europa '51, Viaggio in Italia, Anastasia, The Inn of Sixth Happiness, Indiscreet, and of course, Casablanca. Notorious is my favourite performance of hers, and Casablanca is my favourite movie of all time and my first Ingrid Bergman movie.


Ingrid Bergman 1915-2015
Ingrid Bergman is a legend. I am not the only one celebrating her centennial. All over the world people are showing their love for this amazing actress. For example, to commemorate her centennial MoMA is showing many of her films with introductions done by her children. A new documentary premiered at this year's Cannes Film Festival, Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words. The AFI is also doing a centennial film festival in Washington D.C. It is evident that Ingrid Bergman lives on in the hearts of film goers today and will continue to shine for many years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment