Pages

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Reading YA

Before reading this post, read this article.

So...

...Young Adult (YA) books are not "literature"? If you are an "adult" you should be ashamed to read YA?

First off: What constitutes as an adult? I have been legally one for over a year now, but I am not an adult in my eyes, and I doubt I am in the eyes of most people who know me.

Secondly: What constitutes as a YA novel? I understand that the market is for teenagers usually 13-17, but the concept of a teen itself is relatively new especially compared to the age of literature. I saw Pride and Prejudice with a new cover in the teen section of the library. I have seen The Book Thief in the children's, adult's and teen's section of different book stores.

Thirdly: I disagree that YA is poorly written. I have read plenty of beautifully written books for both teenagers and children. Kate DiCamillo anyone?

Finally: Why should anyone be ashamed of reading a book? I mean, yes, I would be embarrassed to find myself reading certain books, but never ashamed. A good book is a good book, and one can be found in all age groups.

READ WHAT YOU WANT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment